Common Hippo Projects
Using Innovative Technologies to Assess the Status of Key Hippopotamus Populations in Nigeria
PROJECT CONTACT: Dr. Lynne R. Baker
For key sites in Nigeria, the major aims include:
1) Assess the population status of the common hippopotamus
2) Promote human-hippo coexistence
Hippos as Ecosystem Engineers: Habitat use, ecology and behaviour of hippos in an important waterbody of Zululand
PROJECT CONTACT: Camille Fritsch
- To shed light on hippo spatial ecology, home range, and home range use
- To gain an understanding of the hippo population dynamics and demographics and to develop a population dynamics model
- To understand the social structure and interactions between hippo
Counting of common hippos, Hippopotamus amphibius amphibius, in 8 West African countries
PROJECT CONTACT: Dibloni Ollo Théophile
- To carry out the research in the rural regions with determine the zones available for hippos
- To count all hippo populations in all surface waters within Burkina Faso territory
- To determine all various conflicts between humans-hippos within all countries surveyed
Monitoring, restauration and long term conservation of Common hippo population in the Mbari and Chinko drainage, Eastern Central African Republic
EMAIL: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deduce minimum number and spatial distribution of Common hippos in the Chinko Nature Reserve and adjacent areas.
- Active protection and long term conservation of remaining individuals along the Mbari and Chinko drainage.
- Restoration of a large Common hippo population as a key ecosystem engeneer for aquatic communities and grazers.
Protection of Common hippopotamus in Luama Landscape, DRCongo
PROJECT CONTACT: Deo Kujirakwinja
- Support law enforcement interventions to secure hippopotamus in Luama River
- Build capacity of rangers to better monitor hippo populations and their habitats
- Raise community awareness to ensure long term persistence of hippos
Supporting conservation mechanism of Hippos in the Ruzizi River and Tanganyika lake in South Kivu Province Eastern DRC
PROJECT CONTACT: Josué ARUNA
- To conduct a wildlife inventory for common hippos and their distribution in Ruzizi River;
- To increase the hippos protection and conservation mechanism in Ruzizi rever and Tanganyika Lake;
- To insure the hippos monitoring capacity building to the wildlife authority and local community.